Asian cuisine is probably my least favorite, so why has this Pro-Chef class turned out to be my favorite so far?
It isn’t the taste or texture of Asian food; it’s because the MSG gives me headaches. Therefore, I thought… Asian food = headache. But today we experienced some great recipes that really turned my uneducated opinion around. I can cook Asian cuisine and avoid MSG.
You can’t discuss Chinese and Japanese cuisine without talking about rice. It is the focal point of every meal, and the blank canvas on which all other foods are created.
- Asia alone produces and consumes 90% of the world’s rice.
- Rice has fed more people over a longer period of time than any other crop.
- For millions of people, rice is 3/4 their total diet.
- There are more than 40,000 varieties of rice that grow on every continent except Antarctica.
- In several Asian languages the words for ‘food’ and ‘rice’ are identical.
The other main staple in Asian cooking is soybeans. Some of the products made from these beans are; soy sauce, miso, tofu, bean curd and tempeh. Continue Reading →