If you haven’t tried a posset, I encourage you to try this easy dessert that has an incredible WOW factor built in. I usually put all of my energy into appetizers and the main course when I entertain, which means I usually find myself “spent” by the time it comes to dessert. So when I find a recipe that I can make in advance with minimal effort that commands rave reviews from my guests, I call that recipe a keeper. And that is exactly what this recipe is for me. I hope you enjoy it as much as my company does.
Serves four in 5-ounce mini dessert dishes. This can be made 2 days in advance. Fresh or frozen berries can be used.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Mint leaves for garnish - optional
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cup orange juice
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup blackberries or raspberries (reserve ¼ cup for garnish)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch ground cloves
- Bring cream and sugar to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Continue boiling for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Adjust heat as needed so the cream doesn’t boil over. Watch this closely as it can boil over very quickly.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in orange juice. Let cool, about 15 minutes.
- Pour even amounts of orange posset into four 5-ounce mini dessert dishes. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, or until set.
- Once the posset is set, top off the posset with the blackberry compote.
- Garnish possets with fresh blackberries and serve.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the orange juice with the cornstarch.
- Put the ¾ cup blackberries in a small saucepan with the sugar, the remaining ¼ cup orange juice, the cinnamon and cloves.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and continue simmering 1 minute.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture and add it to the compote.
- Simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Mash half of the berries if you like more of a sauce consistency. Put in refrigerator until ready to use.
This recipe will also serve 8 in 3-ounce mini dessert dishes.
Set mini dishes on an angle in a Tupperware container that you can just pour the posset into once it is cooked and put the whole dish in the refrigerator. You can hold the mini dishes in place with beans, pie weights, marbles, etc.
For a different combination use chocolate ganache or caramel sauce instead of the blackberries.
To create orange slices for garnish:
- Cut the end off of the orange.
- Cut 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Cut each slice in half to form half-moon shaped slice.
- Place orange slice cut side down on top of each posset.
There are many possible flavor combination to explore – Grapefruit/Ginger, Lemon/Blueberry, Lime/Caramel, Kumquat/Strawberry, just to name a few.
Let your imagination lead the way.
… and then, she paused 4 thought