Wow! These simple and healthy “Persimmons & Pomegranate Endive Cups” that feature Fuyu persimmons and pomegranates paired with crunchy pistachios and salty-tangy blue cheese are incredibly delicious. Their color and freshness makes them, in addition, the ideal antidote for Holiday overindulgence.
I made this for the annual Melissa’s Produce holiday event as well as a Christmas party, and judging by how fast they disappeared, well, I’d categorize them as a Huge Holiday Hit.
Today’s Recipe: Persimmons & Pomegranate Endive Cups
This recipe is based on a salad I learned to make in culinary school called Persimmon – Pomegranate Salad with Goat Cheese & Pistachios.
I used an onion chopper to dice the firm Fuju (not Hachiya) persimmons in this recipe.
If you are short on time or need to shave a few calories off this appetizer, just eliminate the dressing.
You can substitute different cheeses or fruit to your liking. Pears, goat cheese & pecans make a great option as well.
- 2 - 3 Heads of Belgium endive, washed and trimmed
- 3 medium-large Fuyu persimmons - ripe but firm, small dice
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ⅓ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- ⅓ cup pistachios, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- In a mixing bowl, mix the shallots, vinegar, molasses, salt & pepper. Whisk in the olive oil.
- Wash and trim the endive and place individual leaves on a large cookie sheet. (It is messy filling the endive cups so fill them on a cookie sheet rather than the serving plate.)
- In a medium bowl mix persimmons, pomegranate arils and blue cheese together. Mix in approximately ¼ cup or less of the vinaigrette.
- Carefully add about 1 tablespoon of the persimmon filling to each endive leaf and top with pistachios.
- Arrange on a platter and serve.
Makes approximately 30 appetizers
Hope you try this healthy appetizer for your next party!
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to you. Looking forward to more deliciousness in 2018.
…and then, she paused for thought.